One of the bonuses of having a builder for a husband is getting custom made furniture :) We've been in need of a coffee table for quite some time now and so we embarked on our first real "project" together. I drew up a picture of what I wanted, Brendon put it together and I painted it. We had a lot of fun doing it and already have a few more projects up our sleeves for a rainy day. Hopefully it will be good practice for one day (fingers crossed) renovating our own home.
Below are a few pics of the process (I've always been one who enjoys the process as much as the final product). We did most of it at night after work so the quality isn't great, but you get the gist. We recycled the wood from an old rimu cupboard as well as some sarking boards which we used for the top. We were wanting it to be a bit "rustic" so using recycled materials was great as the wood already had character.
For the faces of the draws I painted a mint coloured base coat followed by Elmers School Glue. Once the glue was tacky I painted a thick white coat on top, which then cracked as the glue dried. To prevent getting water marks/stains on the top of the table we used Briwax in clear. We didn't want the table to have a shine on it and we didn't want to alter the colour of the wood. The Briwax was perfect!